Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

HAP is a new social housing support which is being introduced in Cavan on a phased basis. Over time, HAP will replace Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need. Persons applying for HAP must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme.  The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in the same way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.

See the Tenant and Landlord booklets below for more detailed information.



If you have any queries in relation to the HAP Scheme please contact the HAP Unit, Cavan County Council on 049 4378300