Motor tax refunds

You can apply for a refund of your motor tax if:

  • Your vehicle has been scrapped or destroyed: Scrapped/destroyed passenger cars/commercial vehicles up to 3,500 kg gross vehicle weight are subject to compliance with the End-of-Life Vehicles (ELV) regulations. Before a refund can be processed the vehicle must be taken to an ELV Authorised Treatment Facility and a Certificate of Destruction issued by the facility in respect of the vehicle.
  • Your vehicle was stolen and has not been returned to you.
  • You have permanently exported your vehicle outside of the Republic of Ireland.
  • Your vehicle has not been used in a public place at any time since your tax disc has been issued to you.
  • You have been residing outside of the Republic of Ireland due to business, eduction or overseas service with the Defence Forces.
  • You have stopped using the vehicle due to illness, injury or disability.

How is the refund calculated?

A minimum of 3 calender months must be remaining on your tax disc when it is surrendered.

Your tax refund will then be calculated using the number of months which have unexpired on your tax disk when it was surrendered.

However, if your vehicle has been scrapped, destroyed or stolen, then your refund will be calculated using the number of months which have unexpired at the date of issue of the Certificate of Destruction.

How do I make an application?

If you want to make an application for a refund of your road tax, please go through the following steps.

Step 1

Step 2

Ensure that you have the following documents:

  • Your tax Disc.
  • Vehicle registration documents.
  • Any other documents that will be required to support your claim.

Step 3

Send your completed application form along with your supporting documentation to the following address:

Motor Tax Office
Farnham Street

If you require any further information or would like to know the status of a recent vehicle tax refund application, then please get in touch using the following details: