Cavan County Council has prepared a draft Local Authority Climate Change Adaptation Strategy in accordance with the provisions of The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Act 2015 and the National Adaptation Framework (NAF), 2018.
Climate change is recognised as the major challenge facing us at both National and International level with policy responses required in terms of both mitigating the causes of climate change and also in adapting to the inevitable consequences of our changing climate.
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy represents a proactive step by Cavan County Council in the process of adaptation planning to build resilience and respond effectively to the threats posed by climate change. Whilst Cavan County Council is continually working to mitigate against the causes of climate change by striving to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, this adaption strategy is primarily concerned with increasing Cavan County Council’s resilience in adapting to the impacts of climate change and associated extreme weather events.
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy considers the impacts of recent severe weather events experienced in the county and likely to face in the future and proposes a range of actions to be delivered at County Level to allow the council to adapt better to such events in the future. The strategy will further strengthen Cavan County Council’s ability to be climate resilient in our day to day operations and in our dealings and interactions with all stakeholders
Purpose of the Strategy:
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy takes on the role as the primary instrument at local level to:
(i) ensure a proper comprehension of the key risks and vulnerabilities of climate change
(ii) bring forward the implementation of climate resilient actions in a planned and proactive manner and,
(iii) ensure that climate adaptation considerations are mainstreamed into all plans and policies and integrated into all operations and functions of Cavan County Council. Environmental Reports
Accompanying the draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy is:
(i) A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Screening Report in accordance with the SEA Directive (DIR 2001/42/EC) and pursuant to European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (SI 435 of 2004 as amended by SI 200 of 2011) and,
(ii) An Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report in accordance with the requirements of Article 6(3) of the EU Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC).
Making a Submission: Submissions or observations may be made:
• by e-mail to email@example.com or
• in writing to Colm O’Callaghan, A/Senior Engineer, Environmental Services, Cavan County Council, The Courthouse, Farnham Street, Cavan Town, County Cavan Submissions or observations should state your name, address and where relevant the organisation/body etc. represented.
Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. post/hard copy or by email
Any written submissions or observations received within the timeframe will be taken into consideration before the making of the strategy. You are invited to make written submissions/ observations in respect of the draft strategy and the accompanying SEA and AA screening reports.
Closing date for receipt of submission is midnight on Friday 5th July 2019.
The draft climate change adaption strategy and accompanying reports can be accessed by clicking on the links below:
A copy of the draft strategy, SEA and AA screening reports also may be viewed at the following locations during normal business hours:
• Bailieborough / Cootehill Municipal District Office, The Courthouse, Cootehill, Co. Cavan.
• Ballyjamesduff Municipal District Office, The Courthouse, Virginia, Co. Cavan.
• Cavan / Belturbet Municipal District, Church Street, Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan.
• Arva Library Market House, Arva, Co Cavan.
• Bailieborough Library Market House, Bailieborough, Co Cavan.
• Ballyconnell Library Church Street, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan.
• Ballyjamesduff Library Health Centre, Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.
• Belturbet LibraryTown Hall, Belturbet, Co Cavan.
• Cootehill Library Bridge Street, Cootehill, Co Cavan.
• Johnston Central Library, Farnham Centre, Farnham Street, Cavan.
• Kingscourt Library St Mary’s Hall, Kingscourt, Co Cavan.
• Virginia Library Health Centre, Bailieborough Road, Virginia, Co Cavan
The adaptation strategy, SEA screening report and AA screening report may also be viewed on the Government Public Consultations Portal at https://gov.ie/consultations Data Protection: Please note that all submissions may be available for public viewing during the period of making the strategy.
Cavan County Council will treat all personal data as confidential and will retain data for no
longer than is necessary for the purpose of this Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and in accordance with the Council’s Retention Policy and relevant Data Protection legislation.